Thursday, October 11, 2012

Halloween Countdown #2

Posting two nights in a row is a minor miracle for me.

Here is number two (2) in my Halloween countdown.

Several weeks ago my wife and I took a quick and much needed weekend down to Moab, UT. For those of you not familiar with the area it is magical to say the least. Arches and Canyonlands, both national parks and Dead Horse Point, a state park are close enough that you could drive to all three and spend some time in each during the course of a long day. Not a recommended way to see the parks though as you really do want to take at least a day in each one. As a side note, late September through the winter is much friendlier in these parks as far as the temperature goes. During the summer and early autumn season the thermometer rarely dips below 100 degrees.

Within 100 miles is another state park that is hands down my favorite place in southeastern Utah. Goblin Valley is a small state park that can be walked through in a days time. It is one of the strangest and most otherworldly places I can think of. A portion of the movie "Galaxy Quest" was filmed in Goblin Valley.




We spent some time walking through the goblins and I kept seeing faces in the rocks. Maybe it was the warm turkey sandwich I had eaten earlier. Anyway I was taking photos as fast as I could focus the camera. At home I was looking through the images and came up with the idea that I would draw the goblins that are in the park. Of course during the day they look like rocks but at night, the magic happens and they come alive. You are allowed to play and wander through the goblins at night if you are brave enough. I am going to do a whole series of drawings of the goblins. Here is the first and the photo they were drawn from. I have not decided if I want to keep the goblins somewhat rock like as in this first sketch or make them even more organic and living.





It is a good Halloween #2 image I hope.

1 comment:

Philsy C said...

I haven't been to Goblin Valley in years. I need to go again. I remember being a child, having an overactive imagination, and seeing all kinds of different faces in the rocks.